The Unclaimed Property Act requires banks, savings and loans companies, insurance firms, utility companies, and business associations to surrender any cash, checks, or stocks that have been abandoned or untouched for five years to the Office of the State Treasurer. The office is then charged with trying to locate the rightful owner of the property.
Since 1982 when the law was passed, the office has returned more than $128 million in unclaimed property to its rightful owners.
In some cases, the original owner of the property has died, and his or her heirs are unaware that the property exists. Approximately one in five people in Mississippi have assets waiting to be claimed through the Office of the State Treasurer.
Could you be one of those people?
To claim your property:
- Print and complete the unclaimed property claim form located below. Be sure to include the property identification number
- Have your completed form notarized.
- Mail or email your completed, notarized form to:Email Unclaimed PropertyOffice of the State Treasurer
Unclaimed Property Division
PO Box 138
Jackson, MS 39205.
Under the direction of Tony Geiger, the Office of the State Treasurer’s Unclaimed Property Division returned nearly 10 million back to the rightful owners in 2012, the third largest year in the state’s history.
For more information, please contact the Unclaimed Property Division at 601.359.3534.
Information for Holders:
Negative Reports Are Not Required
- Holder Reimbursement Form
- Holder Reporting Instructions
- Holder Reporting Form UP-1
- Holder Reporting Software Download
- Holder Online Reporting
- Unclaimed Property Act
- Nursing Homes – Medicaid Report Form – NH1
Note: A claimant may file a claim without the assistance of a paid heir finder.